School Direct PGCE
Teachers in England require QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) in order to be recognised qualified teachers. The PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education) is an additional academic award . This is optional and can be undertaken during the training year (several Universities now offer a 'top-up PGCE' that can be undertaken following the award of QTS alongside your employment as a qualified teacher - this could enable you to gain this academic qualification after teacher training).
As a primary provider our programmes cover the 3 - 11 age phase and you can select either our 3 - 9 age range programme (covering early years, key stage one and lower key stage two with additional training in EYFS) or our 5 - 11 age range programme (covering key stages one and two).
This is a fee-paying programme open to high quality graduates and leads to the qualification of PGCE (with Masters credits) and award of QTS.
- Award of QTS
- Additional PGCE accreditation with 60 Masters credits
- £9,250 tuition fees
- Student loan available to cover fees and maintenance (repayable when employed)
- If you have a ‘B’ grade or above for A-level Mathematics then you are eligible for our ‘Primary with Mathematics’ programme. This generates a grant to cover additional specialist training in the subject and can be undertaken alongside a PGCE. Click here to see full details.
- Gradual increase of teaching hours over a year
- Weekly professional studies sessions
- Additional training sessions delivered by The University of Roehampton
- Expectation of employment within the partnership
Am I eligible?
We are looking for people with the desire and passion to challenge and inspire children. Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, resilience and determination are essential qualities.
To apply for a place on our School Direct PGCE programme there are entry requirements.
Use our checklist below:
|GCSE passes or equivalent, at Grade C (or new grade 4) or above in English, Maths and Science|
|First degree (2:2 or above) or international equivalent|
|Met the required competency in the Fundamental Skills for English and mathematics ... click here for more information|
Year at a glance
The University of Roehampton PGCE sessions in addition to -
Weekly programme of: 3 days in a host school 1 day school based training 1 day Professional Studies
Weekly programme cont'd...
Six week placement in a second school - new age range
Teaching practice at your host school.
Award of QTS
Surrey South Farnham SCITT is committed to safer recruitment, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young children.