Surrey South Farnham SCITT offers a variety of training routes:
- Tuition fee - self-funded with the help of student loans
- PGCE - the University of Roehampton work with us to deliver this post-graduate qualification with 60 Master's-level credits (available during the training year)
- Teaching Apprenticeship programme - an employment based programme supported by a school
- Assessment Only programme - this programme is for experienced unqualified teachers (two years or more in at least two schools)
All routes lead to ‘Qualified Teacher Status’ (QTS)
What is School Direct?
School Direct is an innovative training route which allows you to balance professional studies and subject knowledge enhancement with on-the-job experience in two schools. There is an expectation of employment within our partnership of schools and our schools see the programme as the recruitment pool of choice!
You shouldn't worry about being thrown in at the deep end. You’ll be part of a team from the very start and there is a very gradual approach that builds up to you delivering a lesson and then sequences of lessons. You will be assigned a personal school based mentor and an external support tutor will visit you regularly.
Once the course is completed there are opportunities to continue with your professional development and we work with the South Farnham Teaching School network to offer outstanding support, training opportunities and our Alumni will help you to stay in touch. We have a range of courses available to support you as you progress from an Early Career Teacher (ECT) to a middle or senior leader and even into Headship.
School Direct and postgraduate teaching apprenticeship programmes are an important element of government strategy for training new teachers. There continues to be a significant growth in the number of places allocated through School Direct and we intend to stay at the forefront of this strategic direction for teacher training by increasing the number of trainees we recruit on a year by year basis. In 2020 we recruited a compliment of 140 trainees onto our apprenticeship and tuition fee programmes. There is a pressing need to recruit and train more teachers to meet the demand within schools in the coming years, particularly in the south-east region. We want you!
Aims of our school direct courses:
- To recruit and train the best primary teachers in Surrey and the surrounding areas - you will be in demand!
- To continue to develop with our partner schools a 'let's grow our own' philosophy
- To exploit the potential of school led training and wealth of outstanding practitioners in partnership schools
- To provide in-depth knowledge and understanding of the national curriculum, pedagogical approaches, educational theory / research and to demonstrate the impact of this work in classroom practice
- Access to an outstanding team of national experts, lead practitioners and primary educationalists
- To provide an option to gain a post-graduate qualification with 60 Master’s-level credits
- To provide opportunities for continued professional development after your training year through our Alumni
Maths and Science Award worth £1,000 - click here
I felt like a member of the school team from day one. Being based in a host school from the very beginning of the course has enabled me to really immerse myself in the job. I have got to know the school and children really well….Chris, trainee teacher
From day one you do feel like a teacher and you feel that you have just as much responsibility for the care and progress of the children as their class teacher. You become part of the school community. It is hugely valuable having that depth of experience before going on to getting your first job as a teacher.Jemma, trainee teacher
One huge benefit is that you start the school year in September and you follow those children and their class teacher the whole way through the year so you really feel part of those children’s lives and part of that class..Headteacher 2016
I see the investment in hosting trainee teachers as vital… At the end of the day our partner schools have the best recruitment pool in the country.Sir Andrew Carter, OBE – Head-teacher, South Farnham School
Post-Graduate Teaching Apprenticeship
Surrey South Farnham SCITT is committed to offering this exciting employment route into teaching. Please click here for more information.