End Point Assessment (EPA)
Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship
End Point Assessment (EPA)
South Farnham SCITT (SSF) is an 'End Point Assessment Organisation' (EPAO) for the Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship (ST0490/AP01).
South Farnham SCITT's EPAO service is independent to our provision of apprenticeship training. To ensure consistency and impartiality the EPA cannot be carried out by the training provider delivering the apprenticeship (in accordance with IFA regulations). The full document explaining EPA has been attached at the bottom of this page for your information.
Employers have the option to secure our services to conduct the end point assessment of an apprentice (not trained by South Farnham SCITT) once they have achieved QTS and met the gateway requirements. This is generally during the fourth term of their apprenticeship (first term of the ECT year) but can be earlier than this depending upon the start date of the apprenticeship..
Before going forward for the end-point assessment, the apprentice must have:
- Achieved a minimum of level 2 in Maths and English (all apprentices’ have had to achieve level 2 English and Maths to enter the ITT programme, and therefore these qualifications will automatically have been achieved prior to the gateway)
- Successfully completed an Initial Teacher Training (ITT) course delivered by a provider accredited by the DfE (TRA); and
- Obtained Qualified Teacher Status awarded by an accredited ITE provider.
The apprentice must have also completed a portfolio of evidence compiled over the duration of the ITT programme.
The employer, who should gather views from the training provider and the apprentice to inform this decision, decides whether the apprentice is ready for the gateway. The employer is responsible for ensuring that the apprentice has met all the gateway requirements. The EPA assessor is responsible for verifying this, prior to administering the end-point assessment.
The gateway is triggered by the employer when they judge that gateway requirements have been met. Delivery of all training, development and review activities up to the gateway are considered as being on-programme. The employer will select an End-Point Assessment Organisation (i.e. South Farnham SCITT) from the Education and Skills Funding Agency’s Register of Apprentice Assessment Organisations. South Farnham SCITT will engage with employers and training providers through the website www.ssfscitt.org.uk, termly Headteacher Partnership Board meetings, through regional ambassador schools and regional information seminars.
Once the gateway has been reached, the end-point assessment must be completed within three months. South Farnham SCITT would decide when the end-point assessment is to occur, with the exact date and timing of the assessment to be agreed with the apprentice. The assessment will take place in the educational setting in which the training/employment has taken place or at another place of employment (an alternative educational setting). The employer will facilitate the taking of the end-point assessment.
South Farnham SCITT will ensure consistent and impartial end point assessment against the standard and assessment plan. End point assessment for the Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeship will consist of:
- A lesson observation - observed, and assessed by one of our EPA assessment team. The apprentice will produce a lesson plan, according to the employer’s format, which will be given to the EPA assessor prior to the lesson observation. A short professional dialogue about the observed lesson will follow this.
- A professional discussion, which will assess the apprentices’ knowledge, skills and behaviours with regard to the Teachers’ Standards. The professional discussion will be held between the apprentice and a panel, composed of the EPA assessor, a representative from the apprenticeship training provider and a representative from the employer who has been involved in the apprentice’s training and development (such as a professional mentor or support tutor). The EPA assessor will assess the content of the professional discussion. The apprentice should bring with them a portfolio of work completed during Initial Teaching Training. The portfolio will not be assessed but will provide the apprentice with an aid to the professional discussion.
Once the apprentice has completed the end-point assessment, the EPA assessor will take the appropriate amount of time needed to assess the evidence, decide the final grade, and adhere to the relevant quality assurance procedures. Having done this, South Farnham SCITT will inform the apprentice whether they have passed, and of their final grade (inadequate, pass or outstanding). The grading decision is made solely by the EPA assessor and a 10% sample will be subject to external moderation. The ESFA will be informed through the DMS so that certification can take place.
The apprentice is permitted to retake the end-point assessment after 1 month and within 6 months of the failed end-point assessment but not after 6 months (unless the apprentice is deferred due to sickness or maternity leave, which is to be determined by SSF SCITT). The apprentice is permitted to re-take the fail component(s) of the end-point assessment once within the permitted timeframe.
For copies of the following documents, please contact us at email@example.com:
- Assessment exemplification criteria and guidance
- EPA Assessment pro-formas
- Quality Assurance procedures
- Complaints and Appeals Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Fair Access Policy
- Safeguarding Policy