School Direct Salaried
The ‘Salaried’ programme is open to high quality graduates who have at least three years’ experience of full-time employment. A grant is provided by the government to subsidise an unqualified teacher salary (supporting school required) and to cover training costs. This route also leads to the award of QTS (Qualified Teacher Status).
This year there will be the option to transfer to the Post-Graduate Teaching Apprenticeship - click here to read more.
- Award of QTS
- Requires 3 years’ experience of full time employment
- Tuition fees covered by government grant
- A salary while you train - your main placement school will employ you as an unqualified teacher for the year (most successful applications are supported by a school)
- Gradual increase of teaching hours over a year
- Weekly professional studies sessions
- Expectation of employment within the host school or partnership
- If you have a ‘B’ grade or above for A-level Mathematics (or equivalent) then you are eligible to a larger grant and additional training in the subject. To see full details of our ’Primary with Mathematics’ programme, please click here.
Am I eligible?
We are looking for people with the desire and passion to challenge and inspire children. Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, resilience and determination are essential qualities. A number of our partnership schools will be seeking potential salaried candidates and will be advertising expressions of interest through their websites.The majority of successful applications are supported by a school and existing relationships are in place.
To apply for a place on our School Direct Salaried programme there are entry requirements.
Use our checklist below:
|GCSE passes or equivalent, at Grade C (or new grade 4) or above in English, Maths and Science|
|Good honours degree (2:2 or above)|
|Passed the numeracy and literacy professional skills tests... click here or here|
|Classroom observation experience and approx 3 years experience of full time employment (not necessarily in education)|
|Confirmed school support – most salaried applicants already have the backing of a school.|
Year at a glance
Weekly programme of:
4 days in a host school (including school based training release time)
1 day Professional Studies
Weekly programme cont'd...
There is a second school experience during the spring
Teaching practice at your host school (5 days pw).
Award of QTS
Funding, Bursaries and Tuition Fees
If you are accepted on to the School Direct salaried programme you will be employed as an unqualified teacher for the period of your training.
There are no tuition fees for the salaried programme. You are not eligible for student loans.
Bursaries are not available to trainees undertaking the School Direct Salaried programme.
Surrey South Farnham SCITT is committed to safer recruitment, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young children.